I spent the majority of 2017 trying to figure out what I really wanted to do with my life. I had spent two years building a very profitable social media management business. I had created five figure months and busted my ass. On the outside everything looked magical, but on the inside I hated it.
Kathy and I had formed Badassery Magazine, but it really was just a glorious side hobby. A side hobby that I really, really, really wanted to be my everything. It was where my passion sat and it was that glorious place I loved to go to express my creativity and help others grown. It’s what I often refer to as a ‘business passion baby’.
The problem with all of this is that sometimes it’s hard to give ourselves full permission. It’s like I was waiting for someone to give me that go light and just go all in with the passion baby, the badass business that I really wanted.
Unfortunately there’s no magical permission slip giving person in the real world. The only person who can give us that permission is ourselves. There were multiple epiphanies over 2017 that have allowed me to now fully say I’m living in my own Badassery, by (co)owning a badass business that I love.
At Badassery Magazine, we want to help you step into your own badassery. I one hundred percent believe that everyone deserves to live a life that they are passionate about. Having a business that you absolutely love, changes everything. Everything.
Are you ready to give yourself permission to own a badass business?
Start here. PS…you will need some paper for this, but I promise these short exercises will totally transform you. Ready? Go.
- Acknowledge the guilt: Start by listing out 5 things that you experience guilt around when it comes to your business. Maybe you feel guilty because you give your business more time than your spouse thinks you should. Or maybe you feel guilty because you like to take Fridays off. Maybe your guilt is because you feel like there are so many things you “should” be doing. Which leads us to our next step…
- Stop “shoulding”: Next list out all the things you should be doing in your business, but you don’t. You should collaborate more. You should start that epic Facebook group. You should, you should, you should. I’m sure that list goes on pretty far. You might be feeling pretty shitty about it all right now, so don’t worry. We are going to fix that. Just push this list off and grab a brand new piece of paper.
- Find your wants: Make a list of everything you want to do in your business right now. Where is it that you find the most joy, the most fun? Where is your zen place? When you start out on Monday morning what tasks do you really want to do?
- Ask yourself the tough questions: What’s stopping you from doing your wants? Often time the answers are because I have to ….. And if I don’t do this then……. Get really quiet with yourself. The answers are there you are just blocking them with all your ‘shoulds’.
- Find your Badassery: Refer back to your first list of guilty shoulds. Is there anything on that list that matches with your wants? The things you are really passion about. If you are going to give yourself permission to own a badass business, this becomes your only focus. Your wants and dreams, those are the things you act on. No more should or guilt. You live inside your passion zone where the real badassery comes from. That’s where you stay.
Give No F*cks
It’s one thing to make some lists and tell yourself you will, but it’s another to actually do it. While giving yourself permission to own a badass business you are going to come up with a lot of resistance. A lot…. You are going to have to learn to embrace your stunner shades. Everyone, especially yourself, is going to come with every reason to keep you small. To keep you inside the box, but owning a badass business means you shatter the entire box and you build something entirely new.
Tips For Keeping Your Blinkers On
Avoid Number Comparisons
This is where you invoke the power of the ‘unfollow’. If someone has a bigger group than you and it makes you feel less than badass, stop looking. You have to stay in your own lane. A badass business has rarely been done before. If you are always looking around at others, you are going to end up following the wrong path. Yours has never been built before. Just stay in your own lane.
Decide That You Are Going to Celebrate Everything
That one person who liked your post calls for a victory dance around your office. Everything must be celebrated, even if you feel like it’s the smallest step possible. Celebrate it with total passion. It’s now your job to stay as positive as possible. Celebrate like you are the greatest creator in the history of creation.
Celebrate the Success of Others
Yes, I know I told you to keep your blinkers on, but you are still going to have an eye open. Commit to celebrating success with success. Just don’t commit to mimicking theirs. Congratulate those around you, because they need the support just as much as you do. Just always remember that your path is your own and you don’t have to do it the same way, but that doesn’t make it any less awesome.
Commit To Showing Up Daily
This is a big one. You have to commit to showing up for your badass business every single day. EVERY SINGLE DAY. No matter if you feel like you are a hot mess or a glorious put together Christmas ham… SHOW UP. If you don’t commit to yourself you will be taken down. I can tell you that committing to show up for the last few years has changed everything. I show up with the good, the great, the shitty and every shade in between.
Don’t create things you don’t love. Commit to things that turn into even bigger and more Badassery than you could have ever imagined. Your badass business is so possible, it’s time you have yourself permission to own it.
About the Author
I’m SAMANTHA PARKER, the cofounder of Badassery Magazine.
Now I’m teaching others how to build their own online empires. Yes, empires. I believe that building and nurturing a sense community with your business is the key to massive success.